Please read the following instructions carefully. Certain substances can influence the body's response to the tests, reducing their value and validity. Your compliance with these instructions is very important for successful testing.
48 HOURS PRIOR TO THE EVALUATION
Please DO NOT TAKE any of the following MEDICATIONS for a period of at least 48 hours:
- Anti-nausea medication (Dramamine, Compazine, Borine, Marezine, Vontrol, Phenergan, Thorazine, etc.)
- Anti-vertigo medication (Antivert, Ruvert, Meclizine, etc.)
- Tranquilizers (Valium, Librium, Atarax, Vistaril, Equanil, Miltown, Triavil, Xanax, Serax, Etrafon, Darcovet, Diazepam, etc.)
- Narcotics and Barbiturates (Codeine, Demerol, Dilaudid, Morphine, Percodan, Phenaphen, etc.)
- Sedatives (Nembutal, Seconal, Dalmane, Doriden, Placidyl, Quaalude, Butisol, Feldene, or any other sleeping pills)
- Antihistamines (Chlor-Trimeton, Dimetane, Disophrol, Benadryl, Actifed, Teldrin, Triaminic, Seldane, or any over the counter cold remedy)
CONTINUE USING HEART MEDICINE, BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION, INSULIN, SEIZURE MEDICATIONS, OR ANY OTHER LIFE-SUPPORTING MEDICATIONS.
If you have any questions regarding medications please contact your prescribing physician or call the clinic at (415) 353-2101.
24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE EVALUATION
- Do not consume any alcohol, including beer and wine.
- Do not consume anything with caffeine (coffee, tea, some carbonated beverages, chocolate).
ON THE DAY OF THE EVALUATION
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products.
- Do not use makeup or skin oils, especially around your eyes.
- Eat light meals.
- Corrected vision is helpful for the test. Contacts should be worn if available.
PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY FOR A SUCCESSFUL EVALUATION.
Reviewed by health care specialists at UCSF Medical Center.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or health care provider. We encourage you to discuss with your doctor any questions or concerns you may have.