Check-ups with a specialist in congenital heart disease in adults would include:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG), which records the heart's electrical activity
- Chest X-ray to see the heart's size
- Echocardiogram, which is an ultrasound examination of the heart
- Exercise test, measures how much oxygen the heart can provide to your muscles while you exercise
- Holter monitor or event recorder in case of arrhythmia
- Electrophysiology studies
UCSF Health medical specialists have reviewed this information. It is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or other health care provider. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your provider.