Skip to Main Content
Diagnosis Obstetrics & Gynecology

Urinary Tract Infections

If you have UTI symptoms, notify your health care provider. You may be advised to come into the office for a urine test, especially if this is the first time you've had these symptoms, or if you've had a number of infections in the past year. A urine sample given at the office can be tested rapidly for the presence of pus (white blood cells), bacterial residue (nitrites) and traces of blood. If the test is positive, your health care provider will discuss the appropriate treatment.

The urine also may be sent for culture and sensitivities. A culture can identify the kind of bacteria growing in the bladder and urine and can help determine which antibiotics are most effective. Because this test can take one or two days, you will begin treatment right away with an antibiotic commonly used to treat UTI.

UCSF Health medical specialists have reviewed this information. It is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or other health care provider. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your provider.