Nutrition Counseling Clinic at Parnassus
At the UCSF Nutrition Counseling Clinic, registered dietitians provide dietary assessments and nutrition counseling to help treat and prevent disease. We individualize nutrition counseling sessions to meet your needs and optimize your well-being.
We have two clinics in San Francisco: one at the Helen Diller Medical Center at Parnassus Heights and one at the UCSF Family Medicine Center at Lakeshore. Please make note of the location for your appointment.
In addition, many of UCSF's adult and pediatric specialty clinics offer on-site nutrition assessment and counseling.
For adult patients interested in weight loss, UCSF offers a Weight Management Program through the general internal medicine department. The pediatric weight management program, Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health, is available through the pediatric department.
Common conditions in which nutritional intervention plays an important role include:
- High cholesterol and other lipid disorders
- High blood pressure
- Congestive heart failure
- Liver or kidney disease
- Digestive disorders such as celiac disease or inflammatory bowel disease, as well as constipation, heartburn and more general digestive problems
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Inadequate nutrition
- Pregnancy and other women's health issues
During counseling sessions, the dietitian will provide:
- Assessment of your current eating habits and medical conditions
- Nutrition recommendations based on current scientific evidence
- Strategies to help you achieve a healthy and balanced diet
- Individualized meal planning guidelines
- Medical nutrition therapy (the management of medical conditions through nutritional intervention)
General Nutrition Counseling
For patients without a medical condition, the UCSF Nutrition Counseling Clinic also offers nutrition counseling to promote wellness and help prevent disease. This service does not require a referral from your physician or nurse practitioner. These appointments are self-pay only. Please call the clinic for more information.
Learn more about nutrition in our Patient Education section.
Insurance plans do not always cover nutrition counseling for medical nutrition therapy.
If your doctor is a member of Hill Physicians or Brown & Toland Physicians, your nutrition appointment will be preauthorized. For all other medical groups or insurance companies, it may be necessary to obtain preauthorization for nutrition counseling services. Please contact the company to determine whether nutrition counseling services will be covered. You may be required to pay for your appointment if your insurance does not cover counseling for medical nutrition therapy.
Nutrition counseling appointments for wellness and disease prevention are self-pay only.
If you have specific questions about self-pay fees, please call the UCSF Nutrition Counseling Clinic at (415) 353-2291.
Doctor referral required
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- For medical nutrition therapy, a written referral from your doctor or nurse practitioner is required. Please bring the referral to your appointment, if it hasn't already been mailed or faxed to the appropriate UCSF Nutrition Counseling Clinic. By law, you must have a written referral to receive medical nutrition therapy.
- A copy of the results of any recent lab tests if they were performed somewhere other than at UCSF. Or ask your doctor to fax lab results to us at (415) 514-4359.
- A three-day food record: Before your visit, write down everything you eat and drink for three consecutive days, if possible
- Please make note of the clinic location for your appointment
Do you need pediatric care?
Can't find what you're looking for?
UCSF Help Center