Prepare Program at Parnassus
Before a surgical procedure at UCSF, your doctor will schedule an appointment for you at the Prepare Clinic. Our Prepare Program staff will evaluate your readiness for anesthesia and surgery and ensure that you complete the necessary tests before your operation.
During the appointment, we will perform a health evaluation, which includes:
- Brief medical history and physical exam completed by a nurse practitioner or anesthesiologist
- Discussion about anesthesia during your procedure and pain control afterward
- Measurement of blood pressure, heart rate and other vital signs
- Additional tests, such as a blood test, chest X-ray or electrocardiogram, if needed
We will also provide instructions for your hospital admission, including where to check in, restrictions on what you may eat and drink before surgery, and how to manage your medications.
You may be able to have your Prepare Program appointment by phone if:
- You're in good health and under 60 years old.
- You have visited the Prepare Program within the last three months and have not had any change in health.
Case Management and Social Work
Connect with a team that can help you find resources, solve problems and advocate for you during treatment at UCSF.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Class
This eight-week UCSF class teaches mindfulness practices, such as meditation and body awareness, that can reduce stress and improve your overall health.
We welcome feedback about your experience at UCSF Health. Find out how to contact us with comments, questions or concerns.
Spiritual Care Services
Chaplains representing many faiths are available around the clock to provide support, comfort and counsel to patients, families and caregivers. Learn more.
Plan your visit
If you live in another country and are coming to UCSF for medical
treatment, our patient liaisons can help coordinate all aspects of your visit.
UCSF offers language services at no charge for patients with limited
English, as well as for patients who are deaf or have trouble hearing.
Checking into the hospital? Find helpful information by clicking on the relevant “Your Hospital Stay” booklet: Mission Bay, Parnassus or Mount
Your Doctor Visit
See our top 10 tips for making your UCSF doctor’s appointment as stress-free and productive as possible.
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your condition
- List of your medications, including dosages, plus any you're allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
Prepare Program at Mission Bay
Ron Conway Family Gateway Medical Building
1825 Fourth St., Third Floor, 3B
San Francisco, CA 94158