Website Privacy Statement
UCSF Health knows that you care about how your information is used and shared. We take protecting your privacy seriously. Please read the full statement below to understand how UCSF Health uses and protects information collected through this website.
UCSF Health owns and operates a consumer-facing website, www.uscfhealth.org (hereafter referred to as the "Website").
The Website allows patients and other members of the public to view health-related information, learn about our medical programs and arrange for health care and other services.
This Privacy Statement applies to the Website. It describes how UCSF Health collects and uses the personal information you provide on the Website as well as other information that is collected from your use of the Website. It also describes the choices available to you regarding our use of your personal information and how you can update your preferences.
For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, personal information means collected information that could be used to identify you or any other individual. Information that has been stripped of details that could be used to identify an individual, either by UCSF Health or others, is no longer personal information and is not covered by the terms of this Privacy Statement.
What does this Website Privacy Statement cover?
This Privacy Statement covers how UCSF Health collects, uses and shares Website user data. This Privacy Statement does not cover the use and disclosure of protected health information (PHI) as defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). For information on UCSF Health's use and disclosure of PHI, please refer to our Notice of Privacy Practices.
If the Website collects personal information, UCSF requires the use of the industry standard security protocol known as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encrypt that information during transmission.
Changes to this Statement
The Website Privacy Statement is effective as of Feb. 11, 2022, and may be amended thereafter. New versions of this Statement are effective when they are posted at this URL. Unless specified in an updated version, use of the information that we collect will be subject to the version of the Statement that was in effect at the time the information was collected.
Collecting, using and disclosing personal information
Except as outlined in this Website Privacy Statement, we do not collect any personally identifiable information about visitors to the Website. The policies, sources, uses and disclosures of information are outlined in sections 1 through 6 below:
1. Information collection and use
We may collect the following personal information from you:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, mailing address and phone number
- Preference information, such as the types of emails you'd like to receive from us
- Health or medical information, such as health symptoms, health conditions and medications
- Your device location
- Pages you visited on the Website
- Any webpage on another site that referred you to the Website
- Data about your web browsing history through cookies (see "Cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies," below)
- Web browser type used
- Date and time you visited the Website
- Other internet tags and navigational data
We may use and disclose this information to:
- Send you requested product or service information
- Send you electronic communications, such as digital newsletters, text messages and emails
- Improve the UCSF Health website user experience and marketing efforts
- Conduct internal quality improvement and troubleshooting
- Remove personal details, such as name and email address, from collected information so it can't be used to identify you
- Address any complaints or inquiries made by you or on your behalf
- Comply with a law or legal process that requires us to disclose this information to authorities that may request this information
When you provide us with personal information about dependents and family members, we will use this information only for the specific reason for which it was provided.
2. Cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies
If you wish to opt out of these analytics tracking services, visit these websites at the following links:
- Google Analytics, Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on.
- Facebook Pixel.
- For EU users, visit Your Online Choices to learn how to opt out of having your data used for online behavioral advertising by European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) member companies.
3. Opt out
If you make a request to receive information (for example, additional information about one of our programs) through the Website by providing an email address or mobile phone number, you may request to discontinue receiving similar messages in the future. Materials sent to you by email or text message contain information on how to opt out.
4. Sharing of data
Personal information is not disclosed without your consent other than as required by laws that guarantee public access to certain types of information or in response to subpoenas or other legal instruments.
5. Data retention
We retain your personal information for the time period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement, including to meet our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
6. Links to external sites
The Website may contain links to external websites. UCSF Health is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices on websites that may be accessed through these external links. When following a link to another website, you are responsible for reading that website's privacy statement and making sure that you accept it and can abide by it.
If you have questions about the Website Privacy Statement, please contact UCSF Health Web Services at [email protected].
The Website Privacy Statement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California.