Diabetes Teaching Center
The UCSF Diabetes Teaching Center instructs and informs people about managing diabetes. The center’s approach emphasizes the importance of individualized care and empowering patients by teaching them how to best manage their condition. Our programs focus on helping patients make more consistent and appropriate therapy and lifestyle adjustments.
As part of a major academic medical center, the Diabetes Teaching Center has access to the latest scientific research and treatment options for diabetes. Drawing on UCSF's years of experience with patient care, we offer treatment plans to optimize your ability to control your condition.
The teaching center’s objectives are to help people with diabetes learn to:
- Manage diabetes on a day-to-day basis with confidence
- Prevent complications
- Help their primary care doctors determine how to best control their condition
Diabetes Classes and Workshops
Classes and workshops are designed to help people with diabetes be more proactive in controlling their condition. Topics covered include:
- Types, causes and effects of diabetes mellitus, as well as treatment goals
- The importance of fitting exercise, diet, meal planning, weight management and prevention of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) into daily routines
- Managing insulin or oral diabetes therapy
- Testing blood glucose and urine ketone levels, and adjusting therapy based on test results
- Preventing and managing potential complications
- Adjusting emotionally to living with diabetes
In-depth workshops are offered for adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Groups are organized by type of diabetes and insulin use. The insulin therapy workshop is three and a half days; the oral diabetes medication course is two days. The center also provides individual counseling and insulin pump instruction.
The center helps facilitate a supportive network for people living with diabetes.
Learn more about classes and workshops at Diabetes Education Online.
Any doctor or health care facility can refer you to the Diabetes Teaching Center, or you may call directly to enter the program. Some insurance companies require authorization from a primary care provider.
The Diabetes Teaching Center's program is certified by the American Diabetes Association.
Awards & recognition
Best hospital in Northern California
Best on the West Coast for diabetes and endocrinology
Case Management and Social Work
Connect with a team that can help you find resources, solve problems and advocate for you during treatment at UCSF.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Class
This eight-week UCSF class teaches mindfulness practices, such as meditation and body awareness, that can reduce stress and improve your overall health.
We welcome feedback about your experience at UCSF Health. Find out how to contact us with comments, questions or concerns.
Spiritual Care Services
Chaplains representing many faiths are available around the clock to provide support, comfort and counsel to patients, families and caregivers. Learn more.
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your condition
- List of your medications, including dosages, plus any you're allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
If you live in another country and are coming to UCSF for medical
treatment, our patient liaisons can help coordinate all aspects of your visit.
UCSF offers language services at no charge for patients with limited
English, as well as for patients who are deaf or have trouble hearing.
Checking into the hospital? Find helpful information by clicking on the relevant “Your Hospital Stay” booklet: Mission Bay, Parnassus or Mount
Your Doctor Visit
See our top 10 tips for making your UCSF doctor’s appointment as stress-free and productive as possible.
Diabetes Clinic at Mount Zion
2200 Post St., Suite C-418
San Francisco, CA 94115
Diabetes Clinic at Parnassus
400 Parnassus Ave., Suite A-550
San Francisco, CA 94143
MarinHealth Endocrine & Diabetes Care
75 Rowland Way, Suite 200
Novato, CA 94945