Skip to Main Content
Diagnosis Audiology


If you think that you have tinnitus, consult your doctor to determine if a cause for the tinnitus can be found and subsequently treated. If medical treatment is not appropriate, ask if there is an audiologist in your area who has knowledge about tinnitus treatments.

The audiologist will assess a patient's hearing and counsel them regarding non-medical treatment options. Becoming educated about the nature of tinnitus may be extremely useful in relieving anxiety and seeking ways of coping with the condition.

UCSF Health medical specialists have reviewed this information. It is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or other health care provider. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your provider.