Want to avoid spending the winter feeling awful and curled up with a pile of tissues? Follow these eight tips from UCSF experts.
- Get a flu shot.
- If you have a fever or flu symptoms, don't go to school or work.
- Stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone, unless you need medical care.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue, not your hands, when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work and school.
- Practice healthy habits: Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious food.