The UCSF RunSafe Clinic offers comprehensive running assessments to runners of all levels, from the novice to the seasoned competitor. Our sports medicine specialists provide counseling and a biomechanical analysis of your running and training patterns to help you learn to prevent injuries and practice safe training methods.
RunSafe is a self-pay clinic, which means it is not covered by health insurance. The cost for an assessment is $349.
Any patient is welcome to make an appointment. No referral is needed.
To register for a session or to learn more, visit www.irunsafe.com.
Your RunSafe assessment will take about two hours. During the appointment, you'll be evaluated by each member of our team, including a biomechanist (a specialist in physical movement), physical therapist, sports dietitian and specialists in orthotics and prosthetics.
Based on your assessment, you'll receive a report with detailed findings and recommendations on how to improve your running and training, including pictures of suggested exercises and training drills. You'll also receive a video of your running gait analysis. Your assessment will include:
- Video gait analysis. Our highly trained biomechanists will evaluate your running biomechanics from multiple camera angles with motion analysis software.
- Strength and flexibility assessment. Our physical therapist will evaluate your functional strength and flexibility, using focused assessment techniques.
- Nutritional analysis and counseling. Our registered sports medicine dietitian will discuss your nutritional habits and make personalized recommendations that support your athletic goals.
- Foot dynamics and footwear assessment. Certified orthotics and prosthetics experts or other sports medicine specialists will assess your foot shape and dynamics, as well as your footwear.
- Debriefing and recommendations. We'll discuss the results with you and provide a personalized report card, outlining the findings and recommendations from our team.
Our locations (1)
Awards & recognition
Among the top hospitals in the nation
One of the nation's best for orthopedic care
Our research initiatives
UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research
The UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery has several research programs dedicated to investigating different areas of musculoskeletal health care, such as hip, knee and spine surgery.