Signs and Symptoms
Mid to lower back pain and back stiffness are often the first symptoms of degenerative adult scoliosis.
Other symptoms include:
- Curved posture
- Difficulty sitting or standing
- Difficulty walking due to loss of leg muscle coordination
- Leaning towards one side
- Nerve damage, causing weakness, numbness and pain in legs and feet
- Protruding rib
- Reduction in height due to a curved spine
- Shortness of breath and fatigue, caused by an upper spine curve
- Spinal stiffness
UCSF Health medical specialists have reviewed this information. It is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or other health care provider. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your provider.