Cystic Fibrosis Center
The UCSF Cystic Fibrosis Center, certified by the national Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF), specializes in the diagnosis, treatment and management of cystic fibrosis. We are also active in research on the condition.
Since many of our patients were diagnosed with cystic fibrosis as children or teenagers, we help them transition from pediatric to adult care. The CFF recently reported that the median survival age for patients with cystic fibrosis is nearly 37 years. This means that half the patients with cystic fibrosis are living into their late 30s and beyond. Also, research suggests that adherence to CFF treatment guidelines increases a patient's life expectancy by 10 years on average.
We are committed to providing and organizing effective, evidence-based care for adults with cystic fibrosis. In addition, we train providers of adult cystic fibrosis care, test and implement new CF treatments, work to advance scientific understanding of cystic fibrosis and support efforts to discover new drugs for the condition.
We provide a team approach to care founded on doctors and nurses who specialize in cystic fibrosis. They are supported by a respiratory therapist, registered dietitian and social worker who also specialize in CF.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive cystic fibrosis diagnosis, including sweat testing and blood testing for all known mutations related to cystic fibrosis. By special arrangement, we also provide measurement of nasal potential differences.
- A full range of treatments for all complications related to cystic fibrosis, including those involving the respiratory, digestive, endocrine and reproductive systems.
- Management of cystic fibrosis lung disease, including airway clearance techniques, mucolytics and preventive therapy for patients infected by pseudomonas.
- Prenatal genetic counseling, screening and testing for cystic fibrosis at the UCSF Prenatal Diagnosis Center.
- Comprehensive nutrition counseling and care, including pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy, screening for vitamin deficiencies and treatments to address deficiencies.
- Cystic fibrosis education and counseling.
We also have our own research laboratory, where our team of experts is investigating cystic fibrosis, with the aim of better understanding the disease and developing new and improved treatments. Our patients have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials evaluating new therapies. In addition, we often collaborate on research studies with other CFF-sponsored medical centers around the country.
Our center is also certified by the Genetically Handicapped Persons Program, a state-funded center that coordinates care and helps pay for the medical expenses of people with cystic fibrosis and other serious genetic diseases.
Doctor referral required
Awards & recognition
Best hospital in Northern California
Best in Northern California in pulmonology & lung surgery
Accredited cystic fibrosis care center
Case Management and Social Work
Connect with a team that can help you find resources, solve problems and advocate for you during treatment at UCSF.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Class
This eight-week UCSF class teaches mindfulness practices, such as meditation and body awareness, that can reduce stress and improve your overall health.
We welcome feedback about your experience at UCSF Health. Find out how to contact us with comments, questions or concerns.
Spiritual Care Services
Chaplains representing many faiths are available around the clock to provide support, comfort and counsel to patients, families and caregivers. Learn more.
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your condition
- List of your medications, including dosages, plus any you're allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
If you live in another country and are coming to UCSF for medical
treatment, our patient liaisons can help coordinate all aspects of your visit.
UCSF offers language services at no charge for patients with limited
English, as well as for patients who are deaf or have trouble hearing.
Checking into the hospital? Find helpful information by clicking on the relevant “Your Hospital Stay” booklet: Mission Bay, Parnassus or Mount
Your Doctor Visit
See our top 10 tips for making your UCSF doctor’s appointment as stress-free and productive as possible.
Cystic Fibrosis Center at Pleasanton
5924 Stoneridge Dr., Suite 100
Pleasanton, CA 94588