Vascular ultrasound is a painless, noninvasive procedure that uses sound waves to evaluate how blood moves through your veins and arteries. The UCSF Vascular Laboratory provides the full range of vascular ultrasound exams, including the following:
- Abdominal Vascular Exam: Evaluates the blood vessels that bring blood to and away from the abdominal organs
- Extracranial Cerebrovascular Arterial Duplex Scan: Evaluates vessels in the head and neck, such as the carotid artery
- Transcranial Doppler Study: Studies the blood vessels within the skull that supply the brain
- Venous and Arterial Study of Legs and Arms: Evaluates blood flow from the legs and arms to the heart
Vascular ultrasounds may take up to an hour, depending on the study.
We see patients with the following conditions:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Carotid artery disease
- Cerebrovascular disease and stroke
- Chronic vein disease, such as varicose veins
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots)
- Mesenteric artery disease (narrowing of the arteries that supply blood to the intestines)
- Peripheral artery disease in arms, hands, legs or feet
- Renal (kidney) artery disease
Doctor referral required
Multi-arm Optimization of Stroke Thrombolysis
Adjunct Collection of Additional Biorepository Data From Patients Enrolled in Diabetic Foot Con...
Proportion of participants consenting to participation in the biorepository from among DFC studies, by study and overall
AtRial Cardiopathy and Antithrombotic Drugs In Prevention After Cryptogenic Stroke
Recurrent stroke of any type (ischemic, hemorrhagic, or of unclear type)
C-myc Biomarker Study for Diabetic Foot Ulcers
Assessing the Feasibility of BGC101 in the Treatment of PAD & CLI
Evaluation of adverse events - lack of severe adverse events
Sleep for Stroke Management and Recovery Trial
The primary outcome is a time-to-event outcome defined as a participant having at least one of the following events within 6-months from randomization: new ischemic stroke, acute coronary syndrome or all-cause mortality
Study of AMG0001 to Improve Ulcer Healing and Perfusion in Subjects With Peripheral Ischemic Ul...
Complete ulcer healing defined as skin re-epithelialization without drainage or dressing requirements confirmed at 2 consecutive study visits 2 weeks apart.
TEWL Biomarker Study for Diabetic Foot Ulcer Recurrence
Monitoring Local Tissue Oxygen Changes Using the Wireless Lumee Oxygen Platform in Correlation ...
Correlation of measurements between subcutaneous tissue oxygen concentration expressed by the Lumee Oxygen Index (LOI; unitless; measured by the Wireless Lumee Oxygen Platform) and transcutaneous partial pressure of oxygen (TcPO2;...
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your condition
- List of your medications, including dosages, plus any you're allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes