Interventional Pulmonary Practice
The UCSF Interventional Pulmonary Practice uses minimally invasive, state-of-the-art tests to diagnose and treat patients with lung conditions. We work closely with the other pulmonary clinics at UCSF to provide highly specialized, comprehensive care for our patients.
Some of the tests we perform include:
- Ablative bronchoscopic techniques (cryo-surgery, electrosurgery, argon plasma coagulation, cryospray, photodynamic therapy)
- Advanced bronchoscopy (electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy) endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), rigid bronchoscopy
- Complex pleural effusions: ultrasound, thoracentesis, chest tubes, tunneled pleural catheters, medical thoracoscopy
- Diagnostic and staging procedures
- Fiducial placement for radiation therapy
- Tracheal and bronchial obstructions
- Tracheal and bronchial stent placement
Conditions we treat:
- Lung and chest conditions
- Lung cancer
- Pleural effusion
- Lung nodules
- Sarcoidosis and other non-cancer lung conditions
Awards & recognition
Best hospital in Northern California
Best in Northern California in pulmonology & lung surgery
Art for Recovery
Creativity can help people with serious illnesses cope, heal and express what they're going through. Find out about our program and how to join.
Cancer Exercise Counseling
Our one-on-one exercise training sessions, customized for your needs and abilities, can complement other cancer treatments and speed your recovery.
Core and More Class
A strong body helps you fight cancer and enjoy life. Join this class to stabilize your core, strengthen your muscles and improve overall fitness. For cancer patients and caregivers!
Friend to Friend Gift Shop
A one-stop boutique for patients with cancer. Get professional help with wigs, prostheses, sun-protective clothing, makeup, skin care and more.
Meditation and Guided Imagery for Cancer Patients
Drop in for a free class designed to help you heal, relax and find balance during your treatment. UCSF and non-UCSF patients are welcome.
Neuro-Oncology Caregiver Program
At UCSF, we understand that a brain tumor diagnosis affects not only our patients, but also their families and loved ones. Learn more about the program here.
Oncology Social Work
Social workers can be key members of your cancer care team. Reach out for support, problem solving and help accessing UCSF's many cancer-related resources.
Patient and Family Cancer Support Center
You'll find support groups, classes, a library, treatment information, special events and much more to promote wellness and healing for patients and families.
Peer Support Program for Cancer
Patients are matched with peer support volunteers according to criteria such as diagnosis, cancer stage, age or gender. Speak to someone who's "been there."
Restorative Movement Class
Explore simple movements that help you feel more powerful and comfortable in your body. This fun and free UCSF class is aimed at those in recovery from cancer.
Pamper yourself while fighting cancer. Free treatments for patients receiving chemotherapy at our Mount Zion campus include massage, acupressure and more.
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your condition
- List of your medications, including dosages, plus any you're allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
If you live in another country and are coming to UCSF for medical
treatment, our patient liaisons can help coordinate all aspects of your visit.
UCSF offers language services at no charge for patients with limited
English, as well as for patients who are deaf or have trouble hearing.
Checking into the hospital? Find helpful information by clicking on the relevant “Your Hospital Stay” booklet: Mission Bay, Parnassus or Mount
Your Doctor Visit
See our top 10 tips for making your UCSF doctor’s appointment as stress-free and productive as possible.