Pulmonary Function Laboratory at Mount Zion
The UCSF Pulmonary Function Laboratory at Mount Zion provides comprehensive testing for lung disease and preoperative workups to test lung function before surgery.
Standard pulmonary function tests include:
- Blood gas measurement.
- Diffusing capacity.
- Exercise testing (the six-minute walk test) – Evaluates oxygen saturation in the bloodstream, measured with a probe attached to the finger or ear.
- Lung volume – A special gas mixture is inhaled, then slowly exhaled, allowing lung volume to be measured.
- Spirometry – Measures volume and speed of inhaled and exhaled air.
More specialized tests include:
- Maximal inspiratory and expiratory pressures – Measures strength of respiratory muscles.
- Maximal voluntary ventilation – Measures amount of air inhaled and exhaled in one minute.
- Methacholine challenge – Methacholine causes airways to contract in people with asthma. Patients inhale methacholine aerosol mist before and after spirometry, and if lung function drops by at least 20 percent, the result indicates asthma.
Awards & recognition
Best hospital in Northern California
Best in Northern California for pulmonology and lung surgery
Ranked No. 8 in the nation for pulmonology and lung surgery
Case Management and Social Work
Connect with a team that can help you find resources, solve problems and advocate for you during treatment at UCSF.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Class
This eight-week UCSF class teaches mindfulness practices, such as meditation and body awareness, that can reduce stress and improve your overall health.
We welcome feedback about your experience at UCSF Health. Find out how to contact us with comments, questions or concerns.
Pulmonary Support Groups
The UCSF AWAKE ("Alert, Well And Keeping Energetic") Obstructive Sleep Apnea Support Group is for people with this sleep and breathing disorder.
Spiritual Care Services
Chaplains representing many faiths are available around the clock to provide support, comfort and counsel to patients, families and caregivers. Learn more.
Plan your visit
If you live in another country and are coming to UCSF for medical
treatment, our patient liaisons can help coordinate all aspects of your visit.
UCSF offers language services at no charge for patients with limited
English, as well as for patients who are deaf or have trouble hearing.
Checking into the hospital? Find helpful information by clicking on the relevant “Your Hospital Stay” booklet: Mission Bay, Parnassus or Mount
Your Doctor Visit
See our top 10 tips for making your UCSF doctor’s appointment as stress-free and productive as possible.
What to Bring
- Photo identification such as a driver's license
- Your insurance card and authorization, if required
- Referral from your referring doctor
Pulmonary Function Laboratory at Parnassus
505 Parnassus Ave., Suite M-1342
San Francisco, CA 94143