Women's Health Checklist: Questions to Ask Your Provider
General Health and Wellness Questions
- How often do I need a physical exam, breast exam, pelvic exam and Pap test?
- Do I need a flu shot or other immunizations?
- Will changing my lifestyle (diet, exercise, smoking, drinking) help me avoid certain diseases?
- What can I do to be more healthy?
- Are there any reading materials or videotapes on these topics?
- Are there support groups or community services that can help?
Medical Test Questions
- What will we know after the test is done?
- How do I find out the results?
- How long will it take to get the results? What does the test involve?
- What do I do to get ready for it?
- Are there any dangers or side effects with the test?
Symptoms and Diagnosis Questions
- Could my symptoms be caused by or related to something other than my current condition?
- What may have caused my current condition?
- Will it be permanent? What can I do to learn more about my condition?
- How is this condition treated or managed?
- What long-term effects will it have on my life?
- How soon should treatment start?
- How long will it last?
- Are there other treatments available?
- How much will the treatment cost?
- Is it covered by insurance?
- What are the treatment's risks and side effects?
You also can ask your pharmacist these questions.
- What are the side effects?
- What should I do if I miss a dose?
- Are there foods, drugs or activities I should avoid while taking this medicine?
- Is there a generic brand available at a lower price?
UCSF Health medical specialists have reviewed this information. It is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or other health care provider. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your provider.