Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center
The UCSF Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center offers a medically supervised treatment program for adult heart patients whose symptoms are impacting their everyday activities. The program is designed to reduce symptoms, increase function and improve quality of life through exercise, education and emotional support.
The program may benefit patients with heart conditions or a history of procedures such as:
- Heart attack
- Chest pain
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary angioplasty or stent
- Heart surgery, such as valve repair or coronary bypass
- Heart transplant
Our program is a combination of exercise and education sessions. Sessions take place two or three times per week for a maximum of 36 sessions, depending on insurance plan coverage.
To begin, a team member conducts a comprehensive medical evaluation to determine the patient's needs and limitations. The team then creates a physical activity program tailored to these needs as well as the patient's own goals. During physical activity sessions, we monitor heart rate, heart rhythm and blood pressure.
During the education sessions, we cover topics such as heart-healthy living, stress reduction, and strategies for managing the patient's heart condition and medications.
The benefits of cardiac rehabilitation include:
- Reduced risk of future heart problems
- Reduced chest pain, fatigue and shortness of breath
- Increased stamina and strength
- Increased confidence and emotional well-being
- Improved quality of life
Cardiac rehabilitation is covered by most insurance programs, including Medicare.
Doctor referral required
Awards & recognition
Best hospital in Northern California
One of the nation’s best in cardiology & heart surgery
Certified cardiovascular rehabilitation program
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your condition
- List of your medications, including dosages, plus any you're allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes